Ever seen Portlandia? Go ahead, click the video below. I'll wait.
Extreme right?
I was explaining to Tim, my step-dad for those who are clueless, what a hipster looks like. I tried to explain that it was someone who was on the "cutting edge" but didn't necessarily want to stand out as someone on the cutting edge. I said something to the likes of "they do things to be ironic and to be individuals." We can leave the irony of a group of people being individuals for a later post.
He looked at me.
And looked.
"It is like people from Portland," I finally explained. "You know, people who try really hard to be cool." As I grabbed my iPad to look up the word on Urban Dictionary, he said, "Are you a hipster?"
It was my turn to stare blankly. Shoot, am I? Is that bad or good?
I started to go down the checklist in my head.
Cutting edge:
Well I have the latest from Apple, but not any thick black framed Ray-Ban glasses. I'm not using the gadget to look ironic either. Grade: incomplete hipster.
Doesn't like to be seen as cutting edge:
I like to show off my stuff, but then get humble about it when complimented. Grade: hipster.
Does things to be ironic:
I wore a mustache for awhile this year. Grade: hipster.
Does things to be seen as an individual:
I buy things that other people have but in colors no one has. Case in point, Bob Ironman stroller in yellow. Grade: hipster.
Conclusion: 3/4 hipster.
I'll need to work on that.
I have never seen you wearing a scarf in the summer and I have never heard you claim to like something "before it was cool". Since you don't meet those criteria, I wouldn't consider you hipster.
ReplyDeleteAgreed Pat. I did like Nelly before he hit it big. Oh and Duck Sauce. But other than that, thanks for agreeing. I don't want to be a hipster.
ReplyDelete